Healthy Bites: Tex Mex Enchilada Casserole
PEORIA (25News Now) - A delicious and healthy casserole that is full of flavor!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound extra lean (99%) ground turkey breast
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup no salt added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup salsa
- 7 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- ¾ cup light sour cream
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese made with 2% milk
- 1 ½ cups shredded lettuce
- 1 ½ cups chopped tomato
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 3 cups water
- 4 ½ Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Cooking spray
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Spray large skillet with cooking spray and cook ground turkey, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Stir in corn, black beans and salsa, set aside.
- 3. To make enchilada sauce, make a slurry by whisking cold water and flour together in a medium bowl. Spray the bottom of a medium saucepan with cooking spray and add garlic. Cook for 1 min on medium heat then whisk in slurry, chili powder, cumin and salt. Bring to boil then immediately reduce heat to low. Let simmer uncovered until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
- 4. Spray the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and lay 2 whole tortillas and 3 tortilla halves down to fully cover the bottom of dish, slightly overlapping. Layer with ½ of the cooked meat and vegetable mixture. Dollop 6 Tablespoons of sour
- cream evenly over the meat mixture in 2 rows, 3 Tablespoons per row. Pour ½ of the enchilada sauce over, spreading out to cover entire dish. Sprinkle 1 cup of shredded cheese over entire layer. Repeat.
- 5. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 minutes. Top with lettuce, tomato and cilantro before serving.
Per 1 piece
Total Fat: 7g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Total Carbohydrate: 20g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Total Sugars: 3g
Includes 0g Added Sugars
Copyright 2023 WEEK. All rights reserved.