Healthy Bites: ‘Pig’ Skin Chili
PEORIA (25News Now) - As the weather cools down and sports fans head out to tailgate, warm up with this non-traditional slow cooker chili!
Prep Time: 7-10 minutes
Cook Time: 8-10 hours
- 1 ½ pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into small cubes
- 2 – 15.5 ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 – 10 ounce cans no salt added diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 22 ounces low sodium vegetable juice
- 12 ounces light beer
- 1 cup water
- 1 - 6 ounce can no salt added tomato paste
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- Juice of 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 10 lime wedges
- 10 Tablespoons (~2/3 cup) light sour cream
- Add all chili ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Garnish with cilantro, lime wedge and 1 Tablespoon of sour cream.
Per 1 cup serving
Total Fat: 4g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Total Carbohydrate: 29g
Dietary Fiber: 3g
Total Sugars: 13g
Includes 5g Added Sugars
Recipe provided by Ashley Simper, MS, RD, LDN, Manager of Dietetic Services at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center.
Copyright 2023 WEEK. All rights reserved.