Healthy Bites: Harvest Potato Salad
PEORIA (25News Now) - Sweet potatoes and apples blend together for a fall spin on potato salad!
Prep Time: 7-10 minutes
Cook Time: 6-8 minutes
- 5 cups cubed sweet potatoes (scrub clean and leave skin on)
- 3 cups cubed apples (sweet varieties)
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- ½ cup chopped dried cranberries (50% less sugar)
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup chopped pecans for garnish
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon poppy seeds
- Fill a large stock pot ¾ with water. Bring water to boil over high heat. Add sweet potatoes and cook for 5-6 minutes or until medium firmness. They should pierce with a fork, but still remain semi-firm. Drain and let cool.
- Add sweet potatoes, apples, onion, cranberries and blue cheese to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk orange juice, canola oil, vinegar, mustard and poppy seeds. Pour over salad mixture and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped pecans.
Per ½ cup serving
Total Fat: 6g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Total Carbohydrate: 19g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
Total Sugars: 7g
Includes 2g Added Sugars
Recipe provided by Ashley Simper, MS, RD, LDN, Manager of Dietetic Services at OSF Saint Francis Medical Center.
Copyright 2023 WEEK. All rights reserved.