Illinois’ assault weapons ban faces federal court challenge
(25 News Now) - A federal lawsuit has been filed challenging Illinois’ assault weapons ban, signed into law by Gov. JB. Pritzker earlier this month.
The lawsuit said bans on commonly possessed semiautomatic firearms and ammunition magazines violates the right to keep and bear arms, as guaranteed under the Second and Fourteenth Amendments to the U.S. Constitution.
Late Tuesday night, the Illinois State Rifle Association said in a news release that it was joining with other “lawful gun owners” to file the suit in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois.
The announcement came on the eve of a hearing scheduled in Effingham County Circuit Court Wednesday morning. A state judge will be asked to rule on an emergency motion for a temporary restraining order to stop enforcement of the new law.
The lawsuit in state court was filed by Thomas DeVore, the Republican candidate for Illinois Attorney General, who lost in the November election. DeVore filed the suit on behalf of Accuracy Firearms of Effingham and many other plaintiffs.
Copyright 2023 WEEK. All rights reserved.