Prosecutors: Pekin murder suspect admitted to ‘punching’ victim in face

Published: Nov. 16, 2022 at 7:53 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PEKIN (25 News Now) - A murder suspect admitted to punching a victim in the face before his eventual death weeks later, according to court documents obtained by 25 News.

20-year-old Kolby Kincade is in jail for the murder of 53-year-old Richard Wass. Police say both lived at the same apartment complex on Pine Street, and neighbors say they lived next door to each other.

Neighbors describe Wass as a quiet man who helped them move boxes and made good conversation. An online obituary says he worked at a metal fabrication factory in Morton and was a lifelong sports fan.

Some neighbors tell us they heard a commotion inside Wass’ apartment October 29. One says he saw Kincade kick in Richard’s door.

“He was a nice, nice man,” neighbor Roxanne Cordoba said. “He didn’t have a bad bone in his body.... How could you beat someone up like that. I mean, really?”

Kincade was arrested after the initial incident in late October. He posted $200 bond to two misdemeanor charges, before being booked again for the murder charge Tuesday. It is unclear when he will be given a bond in this case.

“Kincade was interviewed and admitted to punching Richard on the 29th after an argument between the two,” a probable cause affidavit for the misdemeanor case says. “He denied kicking in his door but police noted a boot owned by Kincade matched the boot print on Richard’s door.

There is not yet a murder case filed in Tazewell County, and the misdemeanor case was dismissed November 14, the day before Kincade’s second arrest.

“[Kincade] was always running around here yelling like he was on some sort of drugs or something,” neighbor Bob Hasty said.

Court documents say the fight happened October 29, but Wass died at the apartment complex November 11. Pekin Police said he had a swollen right eye and got treatment at a local hospital when they responded to the scene on Halloween.

“When [Wass] got back, I don’t know when he got back, next thing we knew he turned up dead,” Hasty said. “He sure in heck wasn’t the violent part of the altercation.”

Both men did have criminal histories. Wass had several cases filed in Tazewell County Court, many from decades ago. Kincade was previously jailed in Peoria County for aggravated battery and criminal damage to property. It’s unclear if there were any charges filed against Kincade in those cases.

Pekin Police did not respond to a request for further comment for this story Wednesday.