$2.5 million bond issued for Pekin murder suspect

Published: Nov. 17, 2022 at 3:11 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PEKIN (25 News Now) - Bond was set at $2.5 million Thursday for the 20-year-old Pekin man, charged with first-degree murder. New court documents say Richard Wass, 53 died of blunt force trauma to the chest.

Kolby Kincade is in jail for the murder of Wass. Police say both lived at the same apartment complex on Pine Street, and neighbors say they lived next door to each other.

Prosecutors say Kincade admitted to punching and beating Wass before he died less than 2 weeks later.

Neighbor of Wass, Maurice Hubbard, says he saw Wass walking home from the hospital sometime around Halloween and gave him a ride home.

“He was breathing real heavy, kind of looked like he was severely beaten and so, I picked him up and gave him a ride home because that didn’t look right,” said Hubbard.

Court documents say Wass was already cognitively disabled due to a prior brain injury, but was able to live on his own. After the incident, documents indicate he left UnityPoint Pekin before he was treated and against medical advice.

Hubbard says Wass was not fully able to speak in the car.

“His condition was very severe. Both eyes were black, bruised lip, multiple knots on his forehead, blood-stained shirt, just really bad,” said Hubbard.

On Nov. 11, Wass was found dead and court documents say he died of blunt force trauma to the chest.

His neighbors describe Wass as friendly and charismatic.

“Most part I liked about him was just seeing him throughout the day when I come home or when I’d leave for work. He’s kind of like a guardian angel, he would always watch over you,” said Hubbard.

Court documents do not fully explain what happened between Halloween and Nov. 11 when Wass was found dead.

Kincade was charged Thursday with one count of first-degree murder, home invasion, and aggravated battery.

He is due back in court to be arraigned on December 8th at 2:00 PM.