TAPS ‘No Kill’ Shelter struggling with inflation amid record number of pet returns

Shelters are filling up amid inflation and pet returns
Shelters are filling up amid inflation and pet returns(25 News/Heart of Illinois ABC)
Published: Jun. 23, 2022 at 4:28 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PEORIA (25 News Now) - TAPS ‘No Kill’ shelter says this is always their toughest time of the year. Inflation is amplifying the need for support.

Executive Director, Holly Crotty said high consumer prices are causing more people to return their dogs and cats. They’re seeing more people return their pets than ever before. Which is leading them to packed shelters.

TAPS overflowing with animals
TAPS overflowing with animals(25 News/Heart of Illinois ABC)

She said on top of more pets, they’re seeing less donations -- which are critically important for their survival. Crotty said adoption fees make up about 18 percent of income with the rest (82%) coming from donations.

That means they can’t afford to take in the animals that need help the most..

“Rusty our 15 year old diabetic cat needs his diabetes medicine and his daily insulin shot and his prescription food whether we have donations or not. So you’re really contributing to the day to day care of the animals,” she explained.

On top of everything else, their van just blew it’s transmission. Which is another critical component to getting vet care for the animals.

TAPS van transmission problems
TAPS van transmission problems(25 News/Heart of Illinois ABC)

They’re still unsure if they will be able to fix the van or if they’ll have to buy a new one.

TAPS is looking for volunteers, foster families for pets, as well as donations. For information on how to get involved you can go to their website here.

Copyright 2022 WEEK. All rights reserved.