Mistrial declared in Peoria homicide case

Orlando Alexander
Orlando Alexander(25 News/Heart of Illinois ABC)
Published: Apr. 21, 2022 at 6:27 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PEORIA (WEEK) - A Peoria County jury on Thursday said they were deadlocked in the case of a man charged in a fatal shooting last September.

Judge Kevin Lyons then declared a mistrial for Orlando Alexander, 43, who was charged with first-degree murder for the death of Isaac Payton.

The 35-year old man was found dead in the 300 block of Wayne Street. He suffered multiple gunshot wounds, and was Peoria’s 22nd homicide victim last year.

A witness told 25 News at the time that Alexander and Payton were shooting at each other, but the victim’s sister said she believed Payton would not hurt anyone.

Following the mistrial, Judge Lyons scheduled a status hearing July 28 for Alexander.

The judge also denied a defense request to lower Alexander’s bond. He’s jailed on $1.5 million bond, meaning he has to post 10% of that or $150,000 to be released.

Copyright 2022 WEEK. All rights reserved.