Advertisement

Staying safe while using space heaters

Published: Jan. 24, 2022 at 4:41 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PEORIA (25 News) - Just after the one o’clock hour Monday morning the Peoria Fire Department responded to a house fire at 1700 North California Ave. in Peoria. The fire was brought under control by 1:30 and the estimated damage amounts to $35,000.

A space heater in a second-floor bedroom was determined to be the cause of the fire. Most of the fire damage appears to have been isolated to the second store of the house, which six people occupied at the time of the fire. No injuries have been reported at this time.

Space heaters are a very common appliance in Central Illinois, especially during the winter months where temperatures can drop to well below zero at times. Space heaters can also be dangerous and do lead to several fires throughout the year, according to Assistant Fire Chief Shawn Sollberger.

“When it comes to space heaters, some of the biggest things are is that you want to plug them directly into the wall outlet. You don’t want to use surge protectors because what happens more times than not is that you can overload that circuit. Right and that surge protector may not work.” Said Sollberger.

He mentioned that when using a space heater you should abide by the “3-foot rule” meaning to keep all flammables (furniture, curtains, etc.) at least 3 feet away from a space heater.

Newer space heaters feature multiple safety mechanics that old ones will not have such as timers. Some new space heaters know when they have been knocked over and will turn themselves off when they sense something is wrong.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, 81% of home fire deaths involved stationary or portable space heaters nationwide and nearly half of all home heating fires occur in January, February, and March.

Copyright 2022 25 News. All rights reserved.